Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Now with a different 'approach'. Starting on ground ...
>
>   $ fgfs --lon=-122.4998 --lat=37.5845 --heading=275
>
> ... and very slowly taxiing over the border. Right when I pass over
> I get thrown on my back. Ouch ...   :-|

That did it.  There is definately something at this location, on my display
 driven by V3-3000 I see a white line (right side of picture):
http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/SanAndreas.png

The AGL glitch you see basically means that there's a hole down there that
goes to nowhere, an actual gap between tiles.  AGL is determined by
intersecting scenery tiles under the aircraft and measuring the distance from
the aircraft position.  If you cross a gap in the scenery then you'll get
those kinds of numbers.

On my system the c310 will ride over it (like thumping over a pothole) and the
c172 will just drop in there and act "crashed".  Probably if I hit it at the
right angle or speed the c310 would do the same.  With a narrow fissure like
this (I think) it's possible for the AGL to be momentarily screwed up, the
aircraft then "drops" and a wing tip or nose "contact" with tile on either
side of the gap triggers crash detection.

I'm not familiar with the scenery generation, so I can't tell you why the gap
is here.

When I was working on getting the agl calculation functioning with all the
viewer changes, I toyed with the idea doing something that ignored sudden
(and/or unreasonable) variations to AGL, at least for a few frames.   It was
mostly in response to what happens when a very fast aircraft outruns the tile
variations.

Best,

Jim