David,

We have a checken and egg problem here.  We can query the depth buffer
bits.  But we can't do that until the display is init'd and we already
have a valid opengl context.  But, we need to know this info in order
to do the glut intialization properly.

????

We may need to fall back to a command line option and have the user
tell the application what to do.

Curt.