Norman Vine writes:

 > > I don't think you really need a proper autopilot for using true
 > > values, just something that works with the magic FDM and moves the
 > > plane in a certain direction at a certain speed -- more of an
 > > animation manager than an autopilot.
 >
 > http://gps.faa.gov/Programs/WAAS/waas.htm

Norm, Norm, Norm -- I'm very disappointed.  You're the one who has
spent the most time drilling into everyone's head that GPS receiver
readings are *not* the same as true values.

Certainly, we'll want to be able to slave the autopilot to a GPS
receiver as well as the HI, VOR, etc., but then we'll be modelling the
GPS altitude errors and sampling-rate lag and adding a slight fuzzy
factor (a significant one for altitude); if we get fancy we might even
let the receiver have trouble locking on to satellites sometimes.

In fact, even the C172R (which we're modelling) comes with a KLN89 or
better GPS receiver, together with an autopilot that can be slaved to
it instead of the VOR gauge for lateral control.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/