David Megginson writes:
> Curtis L. Olson writes:
>
>  > > Unfortunately, not for 16bpp -- the lights are still so high that I
>  > > have to use to mouse to look up to see them.  I tried commenting out
>  > > the 16bpp detection and using the 32bpp lift, but the lights were
>  > > still floating high in the air.  This looks like it's going to take a
>  > > fair bit of work.
>  >
>  > It's a very tough problem.  A 24 bit depth buffer helps a lot, but a
>  > 16 bit depth buffer makes it a *really* hard problem.
>
> Note, though, that even with 32bpp the lights are floating very high.

Yes, you will see some floating.  Also this will be worse in some
areas because the distance for all the lights in a particular tile is
calculated relative to the tile center, not the individual airport (or
runway light group) centers.  We might need to do that and eat the
frame rate hit of the extra calculations, otherwise the lighting will
always float more at some airports and less at others, and often float
unacceptably high ...