Burrito Jack wrote:
> Is fuel consumption modeled in yasim, or will it ever be?

Someday. :) Right now, you can use --prop:/sim/fuel-fraction=0.2 to
get an appropriate landing weight.  Really, this would be very simple.
Like I've said, I'm lazy.

To be honest, I don't usually fly cross country in FlightGear.  I'll
set up the aircraft for whatever I want to practice (vertical landings
in the Harrier are my most recent addiction) and just do the
interesting parts.  Fuel consumption ends up being superfluous under
those circumstances.

> Lots of fuel in the tanks could also cause problems with landing
> right? I have tried landing several times but always bounce off the
> runway.

Lots of fuel will cause fast approach speeds, which are more difficult
and could result in bounced landings.  But there's an honest bug with
ground effect that is probably causing your real problem.  I
(literally) just checked a fix for this into CVS.  Can you try that
and see if it fixes things for you?

> Also, sometimes setting the flaps around 20-30 degs can cause the
> plane to shoot thousands of feet into the air. Has anyone else noticed
> this?

Which version are you using?  There were sporadic reports of this sort
of behavior about six months ago, and I thought it was due to a flap
drag bug that has since been fixed (maybe in 0.7.8 or 0.7.9).  The way
to exercise it was to (1) be going very fast (300+ kts); (2) be at a
significant negative AoA; and (3) pop the flaps.  The flap drag could
end up pointing in the wrong direction and producing "thrust"
proportional to speed; the aircraft would then speed up and produce
more "thrust", and the airspeed would diverge.  Like I said, I think
this has been fixed.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA