Norman Vine wrote:
> But in any case I don't appreciate programs that automatically connect
> to the NET and I still want to have the default behaviour NO
> networking without explicit authorization !

That's a fair point, although as long as we aren't transmitting any
data I don't see any ethical problems.  Some users on per-minute
dialup might not want FlightGear to fire up their modem.

But certainly we want this to be as easy as possible.  To us, it's
"only" a major convenience.  But to a casual user, it turns FlightGear
from a bay-area only demo into a whole-world flight simulator.  That's
a huge win.

So if it's not the raw default, it needs to be a trivially simple
switch that any user can throw.  I'd be happy with something like a
"--auto-scenery" argument (or better yet, a runtime menu option).  But
having to run terragear manually and specify an atlas argument to fgfs
is too much complexity for the casual downloader.  These are the
people that can most benefit from this feature; and they get a *lot*
of benefit from it.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA