Tony Peden writes:

 > > ie in quasi steady flight conditions most instruments would probably go
 > > minutes before needing a refresh esp. if we were smart about the delta
 > > value that required an update.
 >
 > I think you'll find that once turbulence is introduced, this won't
 > be true at all.  Maintaining straight and level flight in even
 > light turbulence requires the pilot (or autopilot) to constantly
 > scan the instruments and make adjustments.

I agree that this is probably a low-priority optimization, but in
Norm's defense, there are some instruments that will stay fairly
steady over a one or two-second span, such as the engine gauges and
the radio LED displays.  If the ADF or NAV radios aren't tuned to
anything, the corresponding gauges will also be still, but they will
need continual updating when they're live.  It's hard to picture any
situation (other than parked with the engine off) where the main six
and the mag compass won't need updating every frame.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/