Martin Spott writes:

> "Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > There is no shortcut to be found here, spend your energies looking for
> > higher res data sets to splice in to the vmap0 locally !
>
> Oh, we _do_ have the ability to produce higer res data by hand. The
> missing bit is a mechanism to modify the automatic scenery build so
> that we can specify an order of different data sources to query.
> This way we could have a set of manually edited data for several
> places, we could have not that reliable but still pretty high
> resolution data and we culd have standard VMap0 data (the same applies
> to the source of terrain elevation).
> It would be nice if we could automatically merge hand higher resolution
> data into the automatic build,

Hi Martin,

You hit the proverbial nail square on the head :-)

The toughest part of merging various datasets together, after
determining which dataset you want to use where, is keeping
track of what areas are covered by the better data when you are
merging in the poorer data.  i.e. it is usually best to start with your
highest resolution data filling in what you can and then repeating
for progressively lower resolution data until you are finished.

This can be turned into a Polygon Algebra abstraction, and as I am
sure Curt and David would attest to, generic polygon geometry is *tough*.

Fortunately there are now several OpenSource projects that implement
robust polygon code.  see thread starting @
http://baron.me.umn.edu/pipermail/terragear-devel/2003-June/000603.html

Cheers

Norman