David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Norm is right that the only robust solution is to build a big, central
> database-driven GIS repository, where we can check out individual
> polygons, lines, and elevation points, edit them, and then check them
> back in again (preferably in a distributed environment with Web
> clients).  We'd start by populating the repository with basic stuff
> like vmap0, then continually refine it with better datasets or
> hand-editing wherever we could.

I wonder how long it takes until someone imports the world's SRTM data
into GRASS (with a networked database backend like PostGIS). I assume
quite a few people not related to FlightGear already have data that
could be merged. Theoretically this should be feasible - although I
don't know of the amounts of data a Postgres database is able to
handle. Will it work for several dozends of gigabytes .... ?

I know, this is OT - but still an interesting idea,

Martin.