Martin Spott writes:
> "Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Martin Spott writes:
> >>
> >> I wonder how long it takes until someone imports the world's SRTM data
> >> into GRASS (with a networked database backend like PostGIS).
> >
> > AFAIK lots of people are doing this
>
> Do you suggest we should do so too ?

Not sure about using GRASS but using a DataBase yes

> Why don't people share their development work ?

Probably because this is a *tough* problem to get right and is very
labor intensive even with the best of tools therefore most of the
work to date has been commercially driven

> We would need a database where everyone around the world could be
> granted write access to a dataset that is kept at one central point
> (later we might talk about replication or a distributed database),

I think we want to start at the other end  i.e.
several smaller localized databases with local access control
Initial decomposition of the World should probably be by Continents
since there wouldn't be any edge matching problems.  However
since edge problems are confined to neighboring tiles a finer grain
decomposition should be possible with some coordination

Cheers

Norman