Martin Spott writes:

> "Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Martin Spott writes:
>
> >> We would need a database where everyone around the world could be
> >> granted write access to a dataset that is kept at one central point
> >> (later we might talk about replication or a distributed database),
>
> > I think we want to start at the other end  i.e.
> > several smaller localized databases with local access control
> > Initial decomposition of the World should probably be by Continents
> > since there wouldn't be any edge matching problems.
>
> Oh, we already have the tools to do that: Take a copy of the scenery
> you want to improve and use FGSD to work on it. Copy the stuff to a
> central repository after tweaking ....
>
> This won't be a long term goal. I was thinking about some mechanism
> that lets multiple developers (scenery editors) work on one chunk of
> scenery _without_ re-inventing synchronization mechanisms,

And I am worried about security issues when we have thousands of
users all wanting to update their little piece of the earth :-)

Also as the scenery gets more populated the problem will eventually
become intractable with out some division, and not everyone will want
or need high res scenery for the entire planet.
i.e. the Scenery requirements for a 737 flying at altitude are quite different
then for a C172 pilots local airport.

So I thnk that we want multiple levels of Scenery where the Global Scenery
is fairly lowres except at one or possibly two default locations and any higher
data is maintained by a federation of Scenery builders.  We just need to
define the standards by which the federation must conform to tobe directly
pluggable as 'better' replacements for tiles in the global scenery base.

Using a rsync analogy one could even automagically choose the appropriate
scenery server based on position, altitude and personal preference or
sensor model.

Think quicksort and similar problem space subdivision because eventually
everyone is going to want their home turf modeled as well as possible and
this will be impossible todo in a non-distributed way.

Cheers

Norman