On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:42:02 -0000
 "Jim Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Good point (as is Jon's) but in all such design cases there are tradeoffs. What I'm looking at is ease of configuration and that may be a reasonable
tradeoff against the limitations of defining a standard set of control surface
subclasses (i.e. having to add a special case for the harriers rather unique
feature). It could also be possible to design in a way that allows both the
complex approach to configuring generic controllers and a set of subclasses
for simplified configuration of more standard aircraft.

Whatever is done needs to be bypass-able, if desired - which, I suspect it will be, simply by defining _no_ autopilot in Flightgear configuration files for an aircraft. We (JSBSim) already have all this capability for ourselves.

Jon