Jon S Berndt wrote:

Good point. I was just pointing out that sometimes code changes are required for special needs, such as in the icing studies done using UIUC-Larcsim. I would think we ought to be able to model a paraglider within JSBSim as it is, currently, but I haven't had time to think about that much.

I've thought a lot about that, and in fact, I think that JSBSim would be able to do a fairly good job of simulating the effects of icing from a pilot's perspective with a few coefficients, using icing-severity (or perhaps rime-icing-severity, clear-icing-severity, and mixed-icing-severity) as inputs. The main effects are on overall lift and drag, and on the ability of the elevator to control pitch (though that also depends on flap position).

All the best,

David