David Megginson wrote:
> Jon Berndt wrote:
> > If neither of the two (YASim and JSBSim) are appropriate for your
> > expectations, you can code a special flight model in C within LaRCSim or
> > perhaps set up a special model in UIUC-LaRCSim, although I am not very
> > familiar with that.
>
> Right, but that's roughly equivalent to writing your own operating
> system to support your spreadsheet.  If there's something that you
> cannot get from YASim or JSBSim, we'd prefer to improve them if we
> can, since other people might need the same functionality in the
> future.

There shouldn't be anything really weird about a paraglider.  The big
differences from airplane behavior are due to funny mass distribution:
the engine acts near the c.g., but the lift and drag are rather high
above it.  My guess this is the source of the original complaint.  In
a YASim model, you could try playing with ballast tags to move the
default weight distribution around.

This holds so long as the parachute stays inflated.  Handling the
non-rigid behavior of a flopping chute is going to be hard, but that's
more of a failure mode than a flight simulation issue. :)

Andy