On Friday 17 September 2004 16:09, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 10:03 AM
> > To: FlightGear developers discussions
> > Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Problem with ballistic sub-model
> >

> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:56:42 +0100, Vivian wrote in message
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Ampere K. Hardraade wrote

> > droptanks

> > ..uh, in the real world, this is possible if not permissible,
> > with fun
> > consequenses like one or more hard points releases jammed for
> > at least a while etc.

> > > Quite right - they shouldn't. I was getting over
> >
> > enthusiastic there,
> >
> > > and forgetting my Newtonian physics.
> >
> > ..don't worry, there is also Murphy law physics.  ;-)
>
> Right, back to Newton :-). I think I've solved the problem. Mixing
> elevation up = positive with  speed down = positive  nearly made my brain
> blow a fuse
>
> I had to reverse a number of signs to get it right. I took the opportunity
> to add roll to the submodel so that droptanks will come off with the right
> orientation. I not yet added either the parent rotational speed to the
> submodel, or yaw, so if you release droptanks with significant roll rate or
> yaw angle on the aircraft the submodel will not be quite right. Straight
> and level, or nearly so, is fine.
>
> I've asked Erik to upload the modified files to CVS. It looks OK on the
> Hunter, but perhaps Lee could give the revised submodel a good test.
>
> Regards
>
> Vivian

Hello Vivian,

I just updated from cvs, including updates to the sub-model stuff and while
the pitch of the sub-model seems fixed ok, I'm still not able to get the
speed right.  I tried reducing the <eda> setting to a very low value
(0.0000001) and then 0 but the velocity of the sub-model always seems to be
zero.

As an experiment I tried setting some +ve <speed> values i.e. 10 & 1000 but
still got a zero sub-model speed - I tested this by 'releasing' the bomb
(bearing in mind I have <repeat> and unlimited models set for de-bugging
purposes) while sitting on the runway.  Instead of a stream of sub-models
moving forward away from the stationary a/c they remain at the origin.  If I
then accelerate the a/c I leave a trail of sub-models behind me.

There's an archive of the a/c at

http://www.overthetop.freeserve.co.uk/EE-Canberra-20040916.tar.gz

...if you want to have a look.  The release keyboard mapping has been
commented out in the ~set.xml file.

LeeE