Christian Mayer wrote:
> Ralf Gerlich schrieb:

>> I'm not sure how important giving back to Robin's DB is for "the
>> FlightGear community" but in the OpenSource manner I'd say we should try
>> to find a way of not doing things twice in two communities.

> We should try to scratch only our own itch. Robin's DB is a great start,
> but when it limits us it's not good enough anymore.
> BUT, of course, Robin should be able to use our data as well, when he
> likes to. [...]

I think both of you forgot one point: If you browse Robin's changelog
then you'll notice that most of the submitters names are unrelated to
FlightGear. To me this means: If we cut the relation to Robin's airport
database we'll loose the majority of his airport and taxiway updates !
We don't want this, do we ?

So: However somebody is going to design a new airports description
format we always should have a method to merge Robin's updates.
Additionally we need someone who tracks these updates on a regular
basis because we don't want to loose a nifty feature that some X-Plane
user adds to Robin's database.

Cheers,
        Martin.