James Turner wrote:
I'm plotting to add support for startup GUIs in FlightGear itself, spurred on by recent issues with Mac GUI. My approach is to twiddle the order of initialisation so that at a critical point during the idle_state progression, the NewGUI subsystem is up, config options have been parsed, and the nav data has been read, but everything else is still 'off'. With the exclusion of nav-data, this point is reached very quickly, and I believe other work can improve the 10-20 seconds it takes to read the nav data.

What do people think? I can have a patch for SimGear that adds support, and one for fg_init that establishes the existing behaviour, done in an hour or two.

If you can get this working properly then this would be a great contribution. The startup sequence has always proved to be rather tricky to get right, this might solve some of that.

Erik

--
http://www.ehtw.info (Dutch)    Future of Enschede Airport Twente
http://www.ehofman.com/fgfs     FlightGear Flight Simulator