Am Dienstag, den 14.08.2007, 13:16 -0700 schrieb Stewart Andreason:
> Detlef Faber wrote:
> > Driving is best with OSG, Plib delivers a lot of crashes and unstable
> > behaviour in rough terrain.
> >

> That was an understatement. Good thing the jeep has a rollbar. ;-)
>
> Can the "unstable" problem be fixed for plib version of Flightgear?
> Does it need a wider wheelbase, or an engine with less torque? or less
> spring in the "gear"?

The wheelbase is close to the original and I lke to keep that. In fact I
began with a truck config and made the jeep when my son requested a
4WD ;-)
The Truck had a wider wheelbase but suffered the same problems in plib.

The engine is a harrier-like jet engine with 180 degree vectoring nozzle
(for reverse). So no torque here.

It appears that the ground property handling in plib is somehow
erraneous. When you look at the properties of the gears you can see very
fast changing in the ground friction factor and the compression length,
even with brakes on.  Somehow it doesn't get to a stable state and
constantly bumps from one wheel to another. This is very exaggerated in
areas with changing terrain.

In OSG the ground properties are solid and only change when driving from
grass to road, etc. I was very surprised to see how well the jeep
behaves in OSG (been driving through the ardennes yesterday). Steep
slopes and even ramp jumps are not a problem (...but big fun!).

> Nice jeep, BTW.

Thanks, next is airlift for the jeep.

> Stewart

Greetings