On Wednesday 15 August 2007 07:52, Detlef Faber wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 14.08.2007, 23:23 -0700 schrieb Mike Schuh:
> > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Detlef Faber wrote:
> > >Thanks, next is airlift for the jeep.
> >
> > As in "load it into a C-130 Hercules" I presume.  That'd be cool.
>
> That is the ultimate goal. But first I will try to do airlift by
> helicopter.
>
> > We could add race tracks to the interiors of C-5 Galaxy (aka the
> > "aluminum overcast") (I walked around inside one at the Abbotsford, BC,
> > Canada, air show this weekend - *BIG* airplane!).
> >
> > But why stop with this?  Why not an Aerocar?
> >

> > http://www.museumofflight.org/Collection/Aircraft.asp?RecordKey=C39138F6-
> >8220-4A29-9B33-4C9A264D67FB
> >
> > In the model railroading world, they say "there is a prototype for
> > everything"...
>
> Now as you mention it, I think there once was a jeep fitted with a
> autogyro rotor. Hmmm...

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Flying-Jeep/info/info.htm

The bit where it says "The initial test behind the Whitley allegedly left much
to be desired, the "hanging" control column threshing about and the "pilot"
having to exert all his strength to maintain control" might be a bit
understated - I read an account of the first air-tow flight and apparently
both the and observer were terrified by the experience, the whole flight
being more or less completely out of control:)

LeeE