On Saturday 01 March 2008 18:00, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * LeeE -- Saturday 01 March 2008:
> > The first problem is that when I import a .obj format model all
> > of the sub-object ordering and grouping is lost.
>
> Probably just a missing feature in the .obj importer. I don't
> think you can do much about it, other than fixing the importer.

Yeah - I think you're right.  I converted to .ac format end then
imported it, and ordering and naming seems ok now.

> > Any links to a tutorial or reference that shows how to import
> > objects and subsequently re-order them would be useful.
>
> Just select all objects that shall become children, and finally
> the one that should become parent, then Object->Parent->Make
> parent. There are groups, too, but I think they aren't supported
> by the ac3d exporter.
>
> > The next problem I had was actually unwrapping some of the
> > meshs - sometimes the unwrap seemed ok, except it might be at
> > an arbitrary angle
>
> Then you unwrapped u->From Window. That's exactly what you should
> get then.  :-)

Curious - I hadn't altered the Window view - still from top-view -
but it didn't happen with the .ac imported model:)

> > i.e. not aligned horizontally or vertically, but for some
> > objects the unwrap is badly distorted i.e. when unwrapping an
> > upper wing surface object the wing tips were about twice the
> > width of the root!
>
> Then you need to make seams: select some edges and SPACE->Edit->
> ->Edges->Mark seam.

The wing surface wasn't a 'closed' object i.e. enclosing a volume.
It was literally just an upper wing surface and didn't include
any 'caps'.  It's difficult to see where adding a seam would help.

> > On another sub-object, the unwrap actually overlapped two
> > widely unconnected parts of the mesh
>
> Using the "Unwrap (smart projections)" may help (formerly known
> as archimap). For that you'll probably need a newer version,
> though.

Got archimap but not smart projections.  Archimap doesn't produce
the overlaps but breaks up the unwrap into several discrete pieces.
I'll persevere a little more with it - possibly I can use seams to
re-arrange how the unwrap is broken up to make them more useable.
The annoying things was that this example was much like the wing
example - essentially a flat, open surface with bumps on it.  The
lower surface, which is the same outline but with different bumps
unwraps ok without the corresponding overlaps - lol.

> > If anyone has any tutorials or references that address these
> > problems I'd really appreciate it.
>
> google  :-)  Or come to IRC for live-help. Though I can't say
> much about 2.42, as I'm using 2.46pre.
>
> m.

Thanks for your comments - I started by Googling for tutorials and
found the Blender wikibooks stuff but hit the problems I
mentioned - different panel buttons etc.

I guess that if you start learning 3D on Blender things make sense
but if you've come from any other 3D package it seems impossible to
get to grips with and very counter-intuitive.

LeeE