(Trying to get back up to speed with FG after a few years absence)

I've noticed the FG (and SG) code contain a fair amount of legacy pre-
processor cruft, some of which is already accompanied by (sometimes
hilarious) comments questioning its validity.

Notably:
        - #defines relating to 3DFX / Glide support (FX and MESA defines)
                this is presumably totally dead, even before the OSG
changeover.
There's at least one recent sarcastic comment about the dead-ness of
Glide in 2008[1]

        - many #ifdef macintosh defines, which are only relevant for pre OS-X
systems. So dead they're fossilised

        - a few __APPLE__ #ifdefs related to previously broken things on Mac
OS-X which have been fixed since. Notably the 'C++ initialisation
hack' in SimGear (in the logging code). Given that OSG requires a
recent OS-X version (10.3 I suspect, but I'll check), worrying about
headers and libraries that were broken in 10.1 or 10.2 seems silly.

        - many __MWERKS__ defines, mostly relating to broken-ness and
incompatibilities in the MetroWerks standard libraries. There's
already comments which imply these are scheduled for removal.
MetroWerks was the common compiler fo the Mac ten years ago (or more),
and it still sold for certain (non-desktop) processors, but my guess
is no one has used MetroWerks to build FG in a long time.

So, as a low-risk way of getting involved in the code side of things,
would patches to clean up some of the above be accepted, or indeed
appreciated?

I'm **not** proposing a single giant patch that does all of the above,
this would definitely be an incremental thing, but as far as I can see
there's no harm in a gradual reduction of cruft.

The key question is, are all of the above #defines safe to be killed?
And are there any others I've missed? There's occasional references to
Borland and IRIX compilers (i.e ancient versions of gcc, like pre
3.x!) in some #defines which I guess could also be cleaned up.

Regards,
James

[1] - oh the memories! stand-alone 3FDX cards, in 1998. We all thought
640x480 was an amazing resolution to play at.