On 25 Jul 2008, at 01:07, Erik Hofman wrote:

> I've just recently committed a patched version of JSBSim that did just
> that and so far I've seen nobody complaining.
> For me it's a rather simple issue; FlightGear 1.0 is the last version
> for old(ish) hardware and compilers and FlightGear CVS is for new
> hardrware and compilers etc.
>
> It would be great to clean op most (if not all) of this stuff, add
> default c++ headers (and get rid of compilers.h). For IRIX I have come
> up with a way to fix most of the problems just by adding
> simgear/compatibility/<compiler> to the incldue path anyway.

Right, I was looking at compilers.h and most of the cruft is to
support GCC 2.8 and egcs-1.x - seriously old :)

line 144 of simgear/compilers.h says it all:

  error Time to upgrade. GNU compilers < 2.7 not supported

So, what would be a sensible minimum version of GCC to require? 3.2
would be my guess, or maybe 3.3.

I'll work on some patches for the macintosh | __MWERKS__ | __APPLE__
stuff, FX / XMESA stuff is not controversial, but I'd want to avoid
creating merges headaches for people working on OSG code. I guess
cleaning up / getting rid of compilers.h will take longer.

James