Tim Moore wrote

Last time I tried, I couldn't get OSG to compile using gcc3.4.4, which is
the version currently available in Cygwin. This was the reason I migrated to
MSVC8, and now 9. MSVC9 is available free for download from MS, and the 7.1
project files provided in CVS by Fred can be readily converted by MSVC9 for
use.  There is an overhead to running FGFS under Cygwin, so I see no reason
to revert. Personally, I see no reason to continue to support Cygwin. 7.1
and 9 will cover all bases for Window users AFAIKS.

I continue to use Cygwin for CVS, git and Terrasync (there's no Windows
equivalent for the last that I know of).

My 2 pence worth

Vivian