gerard robin wrote

> On mer 13 août 2008, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > gerard robin wrote:
> > > Are we sure that, all the Particle features which are within OSG, are
> > > available with the new XML coding <particlesystem> ?
> > >
> > > When translating one of my .osg file to <particlesystem> .xml file, i
> > > don't
> > > get the same quality of result.
> > >
> > > It could be just me. I can be wrong.  :(
> > >
> > > Or that new XML coding is may be a first step, and others improvements
> > > are coming :)
> >
> > No, all the features of particles are not available with the xml
> version,
> > but I don't think that should affect performance.
> >
> > Tim recently fixed a bug which only showed up under MSVC9, and other
> bugs
> > have been reported, in particular that the particles "jitter".
> >
> > There are no further enhancements planned to the xml stuff that I am
> aware
> > of, unless Tiago is doing something.
> >
> > What exactly is the problem?
> >
> > Vivian
> Hello Vivian , nice to read you
>
> Here are the snapshots which show the difference with Catalina model
> I have done the test on the   left float only.
>
> In order to get the <particlesystem> file, i translated the .osg file to
> the
> new xml file. (same parameters, when available)
>

> First with the     .osg  model
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/OSG_ModelParticle-Img1.jpg
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/OSG_ModelParticle-Img2.jpg
>
> Second with the xml file <particlesystem> from Tiago developement
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/OSG_XMLParticle-Img1.jpg
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/OSG_XMLParticle-Img2.jpg
>

> In addition to, we can notice that the <particlesystem> doesn't mind with
> the "hide"  feature, we can see the effect through the wing on the top
> view,
> the .osg model take care of it, with respect of the hierarchy, objects
> behind, objects in front of   (seems to be the same problem with the new
> Rain
> feature, raining can be seen in the cockpit :(  )
> Is it a bug ?
>
> Regarding the eye candy difference, it is sure that i can try to improve
> with
> others parameters, and  with some additional cumulative effects (3, 4 , 5
> effects on the same starting point).
> I fear that the cpu would be overloaded, quickly
>
> However, i can see an advantage  to the   <particlesystem>      :)   :
> it follows the trajectory of the source, which is significant when the
> life
> time is long.
>

> Here are the osg files and the resulting xml file <particlesystem>
>
> You can notice that that .osg file is very simple, it does not use the
> full
> featuring that we can use with it, it could be more complex, and an expert
> (i
> [...]

Hmm - well - you haven’t specified a texture AFAIKS in the .xml file - so
that's one problem. I don't know if the wing texture contains transparency,
so there's another potential issue there. Beyond that, perhaps you are
seeing the jittering that has been mentioned.

No connection with rain in the cockpit - that's a clipping issue.

There is no reason to abandon the .osg method, if that's what you are
happier with. However, IRC, the "Frame of Reference" stuff doesn't work
correctly with that method.

Vivian