On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:12:06 +0200, Pep wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi all.
>
> > Another big issue I was thinking about is how we would deal with our
> > differences in
> > terrain data? Maybey we should keep the technicall problems for a
> > later stage, but
> > having planes taxi meters above (or below) you just doesn't look
> > good...
>
> As far as I know FG uses the same geographic mode than IVAO network.
> Good thing is they both are based in real world, so theoretically
> there shouldn't be much problem. Regarding terrain differences,
> that's something usual sometimes in IVAO itself, where users have
> sometimes different versions of an airport, for instance. It's common
> to hear a controller asking "what airport version have you got,
> sir?", and this is perfectly understood by the controller or other
> users.

..shouldn't this warrant say a NOTAM to make these old versions,
realistically current?  ;o)

> > Joining IVAO is a great oppurtinity for FlightGear. But I agree
> > with most "senior"
> > developers that we should think out everything very well before we
> > do something.
> > It's easier to call something off than to revert it.
>
> There actually are a few simulators living together in IVAO (MSFS,
> X-Plane and Fly!), and there seems not to incompatible.

..aye, this is primarily a legal issue under copyright law.

> > The IVAO team could implement a FlightGear compatible interface
> > into their network.  The work would be done on their servers, but
> > then nothing would need to change on the FlightGear side.  The IVAO
> > team would not need to expose their proprietary communication
> > protocols, but instead would create an implementaion of our open
> > protocols at their side to accept FlightGear connections.  They
> > could create their own proprietary interface to our protocol as
> > long as they don't grab any of our code to do so (or maybe the
>
> I thought that if we at IVAO don't distribute the GPL software then
> we can use it, modify it and keep it private in our network? Wasn't
> it stated before by Arnt?

..that's correct, provided you keep in on e.g. IVAO's servers or
your own, Pep.  ;o)

> Anyway, a few changes should be made in FG MP protocol, as IVAO needs
> authentication information, but also full Flight Plan, for instance.

..in RL, there's also un-controlled and even no-radio GA, Ultra light,
etc VFR traffic in the appropriate air spaces, and sometimes outside
these.  (Or is all that gone in this genocidal post-9/11 era???)

> And regarding the joining of the networks instead of adding FG
> possibility into IVAO servers, if we proceed merging networks, your
> network will have to comply with IVAO rules and regulations
> automatically, and I don't think that's fair for you. I think freedom
> of choice is necessary for pilots that have fun in different ways.
> IVAO should be just adapting itself to FG MP protocol specification
> changes, though IVAO would be making requests about changes so that
> it fits the needs.

..why?  You could consider FG airshows or fly-ins or even
insurgency ;o) and e.g. issue NOTAM's to deal with this
RL-like problem.  ;o)

> > ..any news, Pep?  You doing it all in-house with no distribution,
> > means no copyright or license policy mess, which again means you
> > can have things decided at brass levels closer to yourself. ;o)
>
> Well, even if I think it makes a lot of sense, I can not decide by

..you have a command chain who decides what IVAO does and not, but
are you saying you can not write this at home as an hobby like we
do, because of your IVAO job (as a coder or whatever)?
Or is it just an ROI-like issue, like with any other business
investment?

> myself and go for it... IVAO is burocratic in this respect. I have
> already proposed this solution. Let's see what it comes out, but as
> I've said before there's a big interest in the software development
> department to see the FG simulator onboard.
>
> > ..my impression from what little I've seen here on this list,
> > (I haven't had time to join the fun), is our "social" MP
> > things are MP airshows and fly-ins, in the http://eaa.org/
> > and http://airventure.org/ style spirit.
> >
> > ..these events fits nicely into RL air traffic in RL and I see no
> > problems with IVAO's serious relism traffic servers joining our
> > MP servers, and maybe you could write a NOTAM generator plugin or
> > something, so these serious IVAO etc people are properly notified
> > about FG's MP fly-in and airshow activity like in RL?  ;o)
>
> C'mon, we are not that serious and boring people!! :o)))
>
> Perhaps something you might note is that even if IVAO is quite
> Real-Life, the main aim is FUN. No need to say that hitting other
> planes, etc. is forbidden in IVAO, but that's because someone in Real
> Life decided to forbid it!! ;o)) I agree it takes a bit more to
> become confident flyer in IVAO, but if the events are planned and
> executed in a more or less RL style they are perfectly legal in IVAO:
> airshows, formation flights, military flights, races, serch and
> rescues, humanitarian flights, chopper contests, etc. Every division
> (country) sets up events, followed by many many pilots, which make
> IVAO events something really funny.
>
> > Can you describe the value-add that FG gives that would be used for
> > ROI assessment for IVAO?
>
> If you are asking what has FG to offer to the IVAO network, I'd say A
> LOT. In the first place, IVAO community increases, as more users can
> join the fun (ok, call it serious fun ;o)). In second place, there
> are IVAO users that have stated their interest in FG due to the fact
> that they stick to Microsoft Windows because of IVAO: they wish to
> have the possibility to fly online in IVAO using exclusively Linux

..you fly FG in IVAO using Wintendo???  How do these communicate?

> (though X-Plane is also present, but it's not free). Personally, I
> think this is a strong reason. Actually I'm personally putting my
> efforts in this because I use FG, and I've been a lot of time flying
> offline (I quitted MSFS time ago). Please help me go back to online
> flying ;o)

..maybe you write your [EMAIL PROTECTED] plug-in at home as an
hobby like we do? ;o)  Here to Help, even by flogging you
into a new career, running the [EMAIL PROTECTED] server. ;o)

> The other way round applies: many IVAO users that might not know FG
> will be attracted to try it, and chances are that many of them (even
> a few of them will do) will switch to FG.

..just beware of copyright ownership(s) on the part of people who has
written code for proprietary sim makers, a few bait for litigation.
http://groklaw.net/ wisdom.

> Hope it answered your concerns. Best,
>
> Pep.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: