On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:30:58 +0200, Pep wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> If you are asking how flight simulators in
> >> general communicate with IVAO, there are client applications that
> >> do this: IvAp (for MSFS), Squawkbox (for MSFS, Fly!), X-IvAp (for
> >> X-Plane), etc. It has to be that way because of these simulators
> >> not being open source.
> >
> > ..nor GPL.  My understanding is this should happen server side, or
> > you're tangling with allowed and not work-arounds under the GPL,
> > and you will be distributing or conveying client apps under some
> > license.  We all want firm walls around our copyrights here.
>
> > ..ok, I would want IVAO's Executive Commitee explaining
> > this part of their policy, as it stands now in
> > http://www.ivao.aero/rulregs/va-r-r.asp, "§2: ...
> > IVAO will not be responsible of copyright violations.", it
> > makes no such "database limitation" to IVAO's statement,
> > which is really a claim in a pre-emptive litigation defense.
> >
> > ..this language rather suggest IVAO wants to not be held
> > responsible for its potential use of pirated code.
> > Your Executive Commitee will probably want to clarify this
> > language to demonstrate it's respect for Copyright Law.
> >

> The IVAO software development department is responsible for the
> development and maintenance of such applications, which are
> distributed according to a freeware IVAO license.

..why not GPLv3?  Would give your work, much better protection.
Not to mention better code, as new GPL people joins in, etc. ;o)

> No pirated code is used and no license infringements commited.

...is a statement that would form the other obvious
half of any pre-emptive litigation defense. ;o)

..the point I tried to make, is without such clear explanation
you provide below here, I can not learn this from your url
http://www.ivao.aero/rulregs/va-r-r.asp alone, which leaves
me able to reach conclusions on imperfect knowledge, or for
use in "good faith" tactics.
And I see no suggestion in http://www.ivao.aero/rulregs/va-r-r.asp
to lead me away from such conclusions.  "Also see ..." would do that.

> These applications include pilot clients, Air Traffic Control clients
> and other network utilities.
>
> Note the URL you are pointing out is the VA rules and regulations;
> nothing to do with software, just about Virtual Airlines data. The
> VA's around IVAO submit their information to IVAO VA database. This
> includes logo of the corresponding airline, which sometimes
> corresponds to that of the real Airline. IVAO cannot know if that
> submitter possesses the permission to use that logo. The submitter,
> usually has a VA website. This website URL is submitted as well to
> IVAO VA database. IVAO database just links to that VA. The
> information uploaded is not responsibility of IVAO. This is the
> meaning of the statement. Beyond the scope of VA it doesn't apply.
> However, if you think this needs further explanation, or rephrasing,
> you can contact the database administrator: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pep.

..why me?  I can tell you why _not_ me:  You the IVAO guy, has now been
properly notified of my "maybe flawed belief", and if IVAO has no plans
to do anything about them, I'm all fine with that, because the records
prove who said what, and my law shark pack can use that record to spank
your team on the should-haves, should the desire, arise.  ;o)

..them fancy C-level guys likes to speak lofty words on Corporate
Governance when everything go as they like, and there's also good
advice in bad jokes like this one:  ;o)
> Eddie wanted desperately to have sex with this really cute, really hot
> girl in his office.... but she was dating someone else.  One day Eddie
> got so frustrated that he went to her and said, 'I'll give you $100 if
> you let me have sex with you.'
>
> The girl looked at him and then said, 'NO.'
> Eddie said, 'I'll be real fast. I'll throw the money on the floor, you
> bend down, and I'll finish by the time you've picked it up.'
>
> She thought for a moment and said that she would consult with her
> boyfriend, She called him and explained the situation.  Her boyfriend
> says, 'Ask him for $200, and pick up the money really fast.  He wont
> even be able to get his pants down.'  She agreed and accepts the
> proposal.
>
> Over! half an hour goes by and the boyfriend is waiting for his
> girlfriend's call. Finally, after 45 minutes the boyfriend calls and
> asks, 'What happened?'
>
> Still breathing hard, she managed to reply, 'The bastard had all
> quarters!'
>
> Management lesson: Always consider a business proposition in its
> entirety before agreeing to it and getting screwed!

..try to understand the effects of what you do, before you do
things, like entering into $200 contractual agreements. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: