On Nov 21, 2008, at 7:49 AM, Stuart Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > wrote:
>>

> One way to discourage this sort of thing would be to include
> "www.flightgear.org
> " prominently in the startup screens, in the
> same way that we include "initializing sub-systems",
> "initializing scenery".

They might replace the string with binary editor. Encoding a massage
in some way can be good against such case, maybe not enough but it is
a bit hard to find a way to crack it.

> Possibly with an added message along the lines of "Welcome to
> FlightGear, the free open source flight simulator."
>
> That would force the rip-off merchants to at least compile the code,
> rather than simply replacing some .pngs!

We can also hardcore some small image (probably with a checksum
validation) showing such message on or next to splash image. This way
it may take a while to modify it even they can get source code.

But I think there was some discussion on similar idea but not
implemented yet, so this probably is not a suitable idea.

Maybe a good combination of obfuscation and clear message without
messing code is a good idea.

Tat