A quick review of the site doesn't indicate they are doing anything
fundamentally wrong.  The acknowledge that it is derived from Flight
Gear and that FG is an Open Source project.

I am not saying that the way they are presenting it is a nice way to
do it.  But it is not fundamentally different than what most of the
for-profit distribution vendors do when they create a binary distro.

The key differentiator of the 'correctness' of what they are doing is
if they are not distributing the code - if requested.  Or if they are
enhancing the source but not distributing it.

A polite email from a potential customer asking if the source is
available since it is Open Source should clear that concern up.
Regarding the use of screenshots, wikipedia seems to always claim
'fair use' for using screenshots to discuss software, but again if as
a creator of a screenshot you haven't explicitly declared a license,
then a simple request should clean that up too.

I am willing to attempt to contact them as an individual to get some
more information if people are interested.

Regards... Matthew

On 11/20/08, Tatsuhiro Nishioka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2008, at 7:49 AM, Stuart Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  > wrote:
>>>

>> One way to discourage this sort of thing would be to include
>> "www.flightgear.org
>> " prominently in the startup screens, in the
>> same way that we include "initializing sub-systems",
>> "initializing scenery".
>
> They might replace the string with binary editor. Encoding a massage
> in some way can be good against such case, maybe not enough but it is
> a bit hard to find a way to crack it.
>
>> Possibly with an added message along the lines of "Welcome to
>> FlightGear, the free open source flight simulator."
>>
>> That would force the rip-off merchants to at least compile the code,
>> rather than simply replacing some .pngs!
>
> We can also hardcore some small image (probably with a checksum
> validation) showing such message on or next to splash image. This way
> it may take a while to modify it even they can get source code.
>
> But I think there was some discussion on similar idea but not
> implemented yet, so this probably is not a suitable idea.
>
> Maybe a good combination of obfuscation and clear message without
> messing code is a good idea.
>
> Tat

Sent from my mobile device