On Sunday 15 Nov 2009, Alasdair Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 05:11 -0700, John Denker wrote:
> > 2) The following observations may be useful, even though they
> >  don't directly respond to the question that was asked.
> >  Squeeze (at the moment at least) is providing boost 1.35
> >  which in turn provides
> >     /usr/include/c++/4.3/unordered_map
> >     /usr/include/c++/4.3/debug/unordered_map
> >     /usr/include/c++/4.3/tr1/unordered_map
> >     /usr/include/c++/4.3/tr1_impl/unordered_map
> >
> >  On the other hand, trying to compile simgear on Debian
> >  squeeze fails.  So apparently something higher than 1.35
> >  is required ... and simply checking for the aforementioned
> >  files is not a sensitive test.  I note that Effect.hxx is
> >  trying to include boost/unordered_map.hpp as opposed to
> >  tr1/unordered_map, so we are not surprised that the check
> >  is not sensitive.  If the code could be rewritten to use
> >  tr1/unordered_map, then perhaps users could get by with
> >  boost 1.35 or even less ... which would be a Good Thing.
> >  Introducing additional dependencies into FGFS makes
> >  extra work for a lot of people.
>
> I am running Squeeze and the current version of boost is 1.40,
> providing /usr/include/boost/unordered_map.hpp.
> SimGear compiles for me without problem.
>
> Alasdair

The trouble is that squeeze still appears to be a long way off.  In
my experience, it's not a good idea to start running the testing
release until it's quite close to release, unless you don't mind
the risk of dealing with some very severe problems.

If you have a system that's solely dedicated to running FG then it
might not be such a problem,as you'll avoid some of the issues
because you're just not running that software, but if you use your
system for any other serious work, in addition to FG, it can become
a bit of a nightmare and impact your other work.

This was one of the factors that has called, at least temporarily, a
halt to my working with FG.

LeeE