James, this is what I've found too.  Perhaps I don't understand the proper
setup method, but I tend to clean it up as well.  Sometimes I get a FL value,
others times the point adds with a zero altitude. (or two dep. airport
waypoints, one with each altitude)

It may be a result of most times the route manager loads with the departure
airport already listed.  For the time being configure it to not load a depature
airport on opening?
Peter