On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM, leee  wrote:

> I think that as a general rule of thumb, Nasal is suitable for
>  relatively low update rate aircraft specific stuff - let's say up
> to  10-20 Hz, but anything that has to run at a higher rate is
> better implemented in controllers & filters, or coded in C++.

I would characterize this a bit differently.

Nasal can be great for doing things at full frame rate.  But if you push too
much Nasal into the main update loop, you could start to bring down your
frame rates.

However, if you have so much Nasal code that you can't run it at full frame
rates, then running that same nasal code at 10-20 hertz or less is going to
still harm your frame rates by introducing stutters whenever it runs.

Thus I would say that too much Nasal will harm frame rates whether you are
running that nasal code at full update rates, or at some lower rate.

It's interesting though how much nasal you can actually get away with using
without making a blip on frame rates.  Nasal is *very* efficient and
powerful for being an interpreted script language.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/