On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 09:24 +0000, James Turner wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2010, at 03:45, Ron Jensen wrote:
>
> > Here is a nasal function to determine if a frequency is a localizer.  It
> > accepts a frequency in megahertz and returns "1" if the frequency is an
> > ILS frequency.
> >

> > var isILS=func(freq) {
> >  if(freq < 108.10) return 0;
> >  if(freq > 111.95) return 0;
> >  var bar=int((freq+0.001)*10)-int(freq)*10;
> >  return(bits.test(bar,0));
> > }
>
> A general observation - it'd be much better to request C++
> properties / native-nasal functions that implement such logic, rather
> than coding it up in Nasal (in each aircraft / instrument).

Actually, I disagree with this statement, and it represents a
fundamental shift in attitude from the way I've seen flightgear's
development progressing over the past year or two.

- Hard-coding every instrument in C++ instead of nasal means only
developers following/building the latest cvs head code get to use
whatever until the next release cycle.

- Hard coding every instrument/flight control in C++ means my WW-II
storch (et.al.) is stuck with an autobrake functionality it doesn't have
nor need.

- The pool of people with commit rights to C++ code is very, very small.

Thanks,
Ron