On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM,  <thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi> wrote:

> I've got a stupid question - maybe someone who knows these things can
> educate me.
>
> If I do not use texture caching, textures are loaded from harddisk every
> time I need them, for each and every model.
>
> If I do use texture caching but my memory runs over, swapping takes place.
> Sometimes I may get lucky and the texture I need is currently in memory,
> sometimes it is on harddisk and needs to be loaded.
>
> Naively, it seems to me the second case is still faster than the first,
> because I always save at least some harddisk operations. I haven't flown
> for 6 hours straight with CACHE_ALL, but for two hours something, and it
> was still way faster than with CACHE_NONE.

Depending on the format of the textures on disk and in memory, reading
and converting a possibly smaller texture from the original file may
be faster than reading back the already converted texture from swap
(if it is not in memory at the given time).

Additionally, I was almost at the limit of available swap space, I had
to add a temporary swap file for fear of running out of virtual memory
and thus getting a crash. (Would have sucked after 6 hours of flight).
As I said, I was up to 7GB but I use a 64 bit system. People with 32
bit machines would run into trouble much earlier, typically at 2 or
3GB already.

--
Csaba/Jester