On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, ThorstenB wrote:

> Ok, thanks a lot Anders for these hints! I'll open a tracker issue for
> the particle issue - so we won't forget these details. Can you estimate
> on how bad this issue could get? Does it only mean a minor memory leak -
> or could it get really bad over time (maybe eat some gigabytes in a 6
> hour TGA shift? :) ).

If I'm not mistaken the particles issue has been around since we got
particles, so it is apparently not that bad (leak and race
condition) in practice.

> Not sure, but I guess the issues with "Effect" objects is probably worse
> than with particles. There's a larger number of Effect objects - and
> each is connected to a texture (.rgb/.png images) - which may occupy a
> lot of memory. Just by starting at KSFO, loads of KSFO terminal textures
> - and textures of 15 different MP aircraft immediately stick in memory...

Yes, the big textures will eat memory fast. Particle systems usually use
small textures (the effect of the accumulation of particle system updaters
is noticeable with wildfire, though - but you'd need a lot of MP aircraft
passing through to generate anywhere near those numbers of particle
systems).

Cheers,

Anders
Anders Gidenstam