On 17 Apr 2011, at 18:10, ThorstenB wrote:

> The effect/texture "mystery" is also solved - alas - explained. There is
> a global cache in simgear/makeEffect.cxx (effectMap), and it has no
> condition to ever drop anything. So, created effects always stay in
> memory until shutdown - hence also their textures. If that's used for
> scenery/MP aircraft a lot, it _might_ accumulate a lot of memory. Tim
> might know more about this :).

Interesting. After much trial and error, I managed to get a basic visualization
system working for tracking AI traffic (see my question yesterday). My current
implementation is taking a similar approach as what is used for generating
runway and taxiway signs and also uses a simgear effects class.

Because I use this system for plotting routes that are active, the system is
quite dynamic and involves a lot of regenerations of the corresponding
scenegraph node. During some of the early tests, regenerating the entire node
on a frame to frame basis caused a dramatic slowdown of FlightGear, even though
I am 99% sure that the old versions were appropriately removed from the scene
graph and deleted from memory. I wonder whether the slow-down is related to the
aforementioned effectMap bug.

Anyways, my code is still a long way away from being production ready, and the
visualization part is one section that probably needs a second opinion.

All 'n' all, the AI/ATC interaction is progressing nicely (as long as I don't
get distracted by launching Vostok's into space that is). :-)

Cheers,
Durk