Just thinking out load,what would be nice, is it can be integrated into FG,
so that aircraft are checked against the remote "hangar" and
downloaded/updated if not under the local aircraft directory, or out of date
(a pre-generated MD5 checksum should suffice)

  Users could configure the address of an XML/HTTP service for each "hangar"
they can then decided to add new hangars or stick with the official GPL
hangars.

   So this requires work within FG, and work on a "hangar" server, but that
could simply be a XML file served of a static web site, such as;

<hangar name="My Special Hangar">
  <owner>scotth1</owner>
  <aircraft model="C172" name="Cessna 172">
     <download-uri>/aircraft/c172.zip</download-uri>
     <download-url>/aircraft/c172.tar.bz2</download-uri>
     <checksum>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</checksum>
     <last-updated>2011-04-21 09:13Z</last-updated>
     <license>GPL_v2</license>
  </aircraft>
</hangar>

   Just a few thoughts....