On Saturday, May 21, 2011 04:24:38 PM Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 14:31:17 -0700, Hal wrote in message
>
> <201105211431.19074.hven...@gmail.com>:
> > On Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:11:50 AM Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > ..try "fgfs --show-aircraft --min-status=production "
> > >

> > > .."--min-status={alpha,beta,early-production,production}"
> > >
> > >                 Allows you to define a minimum status level
> > >                 (=development status) for all listed aircraft
> >
> > Although this should give you a list of aircraft that have been
> > tagged as production quality it may miss some aircraft that are
> > actually of very high quality and some of the listed aircraft may not
> > be truly "production" quality. In fact looking at the list of
> > "production" aircraft from my installation I would say that some of
> > these are not true production quality.  In addition the
> > --min-status=production parm does not appear to work on my new GIT
> > install as it lists all of the installed aircraft (over 300 of them).
>
> ..browsing the list archive, I see mention of argument order
> mattering, i.e. "fgfs --show-aircraft --min-status=production"
> being different to "fgfs --min-status=production --show-aircraft",
> has this changed?

I used

fgfs --show-aircraft --min-status="production"

which did not work.  So as a test I tried

fgfs --min-status="production" --show-aircraft

and that worked and it produced a list of 15 "production" aircraft.  This did
not include the IAR80 perhaps because it sets <status>production</status> in
IAR80-base.xml rather than in IAR80-set.xml?

> > FGRUN also shows the aircraft status on the Select an Aircraft
> > screen.
> >
> > Another way to locate more developed aircraft is to check to see how
> > much space the aircraft uses on the file system.  In general the
> > bigger the aircrafts directory the more developed it is.  For
> > example, the p51d (81.1 meg
> > - use the jsbsim version), MiG-15 (70.3 meg) and IAR80 (53.8 meg) all
> > have very big aircraft directories and are highly developed although
> > I don't think that any of the authors consider them to be complete
> > yet.    Using "--min- status=production" should include the IAR80 in
> > it's list but not the p51d- jsbsim (which has a status of early
> > production) or the MiG-15 (which has no status information).
> >
> > There have been long threads here and on the forums about the issue
> > of helping users locate the higher quality models.  So this is a long
> > standing and significant issue.  There was a rating system that was
> > proposed here that would have made it simple for aircraft authors to
> > produce a consistent and verifiable status for their aircraft.  The
> > system set a very high bar for the higher status ratings.  Status
> > ratings in this system could be alpha, beta, early production,
> > production and advanced production.  Using this system the p51d-
> > jsbsim model gets an early production status as did the c172p.
> > Taking the p51d-jsbsim up for a spin (pun intended) will give you an
> > idea how well developed a model under this system needs to be to get
> > a production or advanced production rating.  Unfortunately it appears
> > that only a few of the models are actually using this system.
> >
> > Hal
>
> ..it's also a matter of opinion, some developers are _very_
> critical of and demanding on their own work, which is good
> for FG release quality but bad for those lofty plans of
> release schedules, is why I advocate having the release
> dictator play with git until (s)he finds git commit
> combinations (s)he likes, and release those on the spot.

I think a better plan is to have a defined release schedule that includes
things like feature freeze dates and use of branches for the releases.  Not
too hard to do once things are setup and it injects some disipline into the
process.   But it does take some effort to get this type of thing going as well
as someone willing to be a strong release manager.

But the issue here is not really a release management issue but more of a
documentation issue.  Besides those aircraft authors/developers who are very
critical of thier own work are not the ones who have held up the release
schedule nor are they the ones who are causing the issue with poor
quality/incomplete aircraft models.

Hal