On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Stuart
>

>> > Thanks for addressing the points that were hammered out over on the IRC
>> > channel. I think the modified system could work. Just a few points
>> remain:
>> >
>> > There is no penalty for including systems, such as an AP, where none
>> existed
>> > on the original.
>>
>> There's not an explicit penalty. but I think Hal has addressed this in
>> the notes
>> for the System criteria:
>>
>> "Ignore systems not present on the aircraft IRL. If the real aircraft
>> doesn't have
>> a system (e.g. autopilot), the FG model shouldn't have either and if
>> all systems
>> in the real aircraft are modeled then it scores a 5 even if it is a
>> very simple aircraft. "
>>
>> I'm not sure how much of a problem this is.  If someone chooses not to
>> disable the
>> generic autopilot for a vintage aircraft, it will have no effect on
>> pilots who choose
>> to fly realistically (they simply won't use it). If the system is
>> exposed in the cockpit,
>> then it is covered by the rating for accuracy of cockpit - a KAP140 in
>> the Sopwith
>> Camel would obviously not be worth a 4 or 5 cockpit rating.
>

> That is correct - but it doesn't follow from the criteria quoted above.

I've added "No unrealistic systems" to the System-3 rating criteria, with
an exception for autopilot. I've also attempted to provide some useful
guidance notes.

>> We're talking here about the difference between a 4 or 5 External
>> Model rating, where
>> we're trying to differentiate between a good external model and one that
>> is as
>> realistic as possible.
>>
>> I think we should differentiate between them if possible, but I'm
>> struggling to think
>> up some objective criteria. Photo-realistic? model resolution of 5cm?
>>
>> Perhaps we end up providing subjective criteria, or some additional
>> guidance
>> in this case?
>
> I think guidance - livery shouldn't be a criterion for realism, but it might
> form part of it. Realism is the goal.

I've modified the rating and guidance as follows:

# 4: Accurate 3D model with animated control surfaces, gear, prop,
livery support (if applicable).
# 5: Highly accurate 3D model (down to minor components such as
control rods), with animated control surfaces, gear, prop, livery
support, tyre smoke, shader effects.

"Objectively differentiating between a 4 and a 5 is very difficult. As
a guideline, a "5" model is as realistic as possible given the
available rendering technology. "

>> I don't have a good answer for the other items. Some are nice-to-haves
>> that enrich
>> the simulation experience but don't impact simulation of flight
>> itself, but others
>> (such as a co-pilot) are more important for multi-crew aircraft.
>
> Call them all "advanced features". That could be a/the criterion for
> "advanced production"

I'm not sure. The "Advanced production" bar is already very high - two 5s and
two 4s.

I'm not sure if any aircraft will actually gain it!

>> Of course, we're trusting that aircraft developers are going to apply the
>> rating
>> criteria accurately to the best of their ability.
>
> Yes - I think perhaps a bit of spot-checking to keep us all honest?

Assuming this gets widely adopted, I think it'll be self-policing. Users
are going to notice if an aircraft falls below the general criteria.

>> > Oh and, finally finally - the model with the highest score might be so
>> good
>> > that the framerate means that it can only be used on high-end systems or
>> > away from detailed airports. This limitation should be noted somewhere.
>>
>> I don't have a good answer to that. Does that become criteria for a "5" in
>> External Model? I think this ends up back as something subjective.
>

> I think we need some form of bench-mark - perhaps the default model at KSFO
> with certain (all?) features enabled. The aircraft to be rated scores a %
> framerate above or below this norm? Thinking aloud here a bit. Perhaps
> that's a bit too fancy.

I think that's going to vary so much between graphics systems, plus I'm not
sure that graphics degradation is linear - it always seems to fall off a cliff
for me :)

>> If enough people rate their aircraft and we can use it to provide a better
>> download page for the upcoming release, it will succeed.
>>

> Let's hope - some aircraft developers have an awful lot of aircraft to rate.

Given his standardized workflow, I think Helijah will be able to apply pretty
much the same rating to most of his new models, and retrospectively fit his
existing aircraft as well.

Hal V. Engel wrote:
>> Hadn't thought about that at all. I've added it to the criteria for a
>
>> "4" rating.
>
> I would treat these as just another system. I think the systems catigory is
> a difficult one because of how much difference there is between very simple
> aircraft (think sailplane) and a very complex one (think Concorde). This
> makes it very difficult to have a rating system that results in similar
> scores for aircraft that have proportionally complete systems but that are
> of very different complexity. I am not sure how to improve this but I think
> it is important to keep it simple.

I've moved the external stores to the "Systems" category as you suggest -
given that the challenge in modelling is modelling the release system.

Inevitably it's going to be much easier to get a Systems:5 rating for a glider
as opposed to an airliner. In fact, I would be amazed if any airliners achieve
that rating. I guess the Tu-154 might.

That said, I think that is reasonable from a user perspective.  If someone wants
to properly simulate a modern airliner flight, they will want a working FMS.

-Stuart