On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 01:22:20 AM Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Hal,
>

> Glad to be able to help. I'm looking forward to your corrected model, then
> I'll use it in part or in for the TR1133. As you probably know, the SCR-522
> was the TR1133 built initially under a UK contract in the US. The TR1133
> transmitter and receiver were reworked by Bendix into a single unit, but
> the cockpit control box remained unchanged throughout the life of the
> equipment AFAIKS.
>

> I now have a working Channel selector interfaced with comm[0] - trivial.
> Now for a menu to set the Channel frequencies
>

> Vivian

I am working on the model for the control unit now.  It turns out that my
"eyeball" was slightly miscalibrated and the model was too small by perhaps
10% or so.  The new version is somewhat bigger (about 1.3 CM longer for
example).  But the old version had about the correct proportions.  It is now
correctly sized and has the content of the placards as well.  I am working on
other details like rivets, connectors and screw heads.  The dimmer control now
dimms all of the lights including the TR light.

I will also be adding the transmitter/reciever and the dynamotor boxes and
perhaps some connectors so that these can be placed in models where these are
visible like the P-51D.   These may not be too useful for your version of the
radio since I will be modeling the Bendix version with a single TR box.  These
also may not be visible in your aircraft.

When I have the models in place and have updated the P-51D to use them (the
bigger radio requires some changes to the P-51D configuration to get it
properly placed in the cockpit) I will push these into my gitorious repository
and request a merge.  I have lots on my plate right now so this will probably
be early next week.

One interesting side note for those with an interest in electronics.  The
dynamotor has several different output voltages including 28 volts and 300
volts.  From my radio backgound (AC6VZ) I know that the 300 volt output is
probably for the power amp stage of the transmitter.  I am not too sure how
much power output this unit had but from what I have read air to air range was
several hundred miles.  Total power consumption when transmitting is about 320
watts and 308 watts in recieve so it appears that it's output is around 10
watts.  This is comparible to modern aircraft VHF radios.  Of course modern
aircraft radios probably only consume 15 to 20 watts max when transmitting and
perhaps only 1 watt when recieving since they are solid state and don't have
all of the losses in the dynamotor.

Hal