Hi,

On Monday, December 05, 2011 12:07:31 Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> I had come to the conclusion that the only way to get a signficant increase
> in performance would be move to using Impostors. That's a big change,
> particularly as the OSG implimentation appears to be broken/bit-rotted.
> I've been strenuously avoiding having to think about implementing it
> myself, but I may have to just bite the bullet. Either way, it isn't going
> to happen for 2.6.0!

There is also a technicque called 'pre integration' available for clouds. So
youre actually really computing the rendering equations integrals but the
space filling volume elements have their conrtibutions to the integral value
already precomputed on a texture map on the volume elements surface.
The problem to solve is still how to draw this fast in the right back to front
order.

And I agree that this is also something like the imposters in the sense that
there are pre computed areas having a fixed ficture for some time.

Together I still think that the amount of draws and state changes must be cut
down.
In terms of state changes, an exact depth sorted draw order causes may be a
huge amount of texture state changes. May be it is possible to collapse the
different textures into one and pick out the appropriate subrange of the
texture? May be an array texture, may be a 3d texture with different layers in
each discrete z dimension?

Greetings

Mathias