On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Erik Hofman wrote:
> This reminds me that vegetation uses a texture strip with 8 different
> trees at a size of 256x64 pixels whereas clouds use one texture for
> every cloud (puff) using 256x256 pixels. Maybe that makes a difference?

It varies by cloud definition, but most of the global clouds use a single
texture containing 16 different cloud types, so we're pretty efficient.

> By the way, both use transparency.
In slightly different ways. The trees use two passes - one with
alpha-testing to draw the opaque parts, and another with alpha-blending
to handle the edges.

The clouds just use alpha-blending. I've tried using two passes with
the clouds, but the performance and visual impact was not good.

-Stuart