On 10 May 2013, at 20:59, Stuart Buchanan <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Alan Teeder wrote:
>> I think that you a right in assuming that the developers are not interested
>> in the FDMs.
>> I posted this a week ago
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=C6C640DA467C4D118C9A794C6A46D433%40AlanPC&forum_name=flightgear-devel
>> and have not seen a single comment.
>>
>> It exposes a serious problem in JSBSim which affects all Datcom users.
>>
>> Perhaps eye-candy and endless mud slinging about the merits of various
>> renderers is a more interesting subject.
>
> I think its more a reflection of the areas of expertise of the active
> developer right now.
>
> I have no academic aerodynamics background and haven't done physics
> since high school.  I've
> spent some time reading the MIT opencourseware on fluid dynamics but
> certainly aren't
> competent to comment on these sorts of issues.
>
> In contrast I do have a degree in Computer Science which included modules on
> graphics, so that's where I can sensibly express opinions.
>
> I know that doesn't help at all with the particular issue...

And I have (actually almost exactly!) the same academic background as Stuart.
Also, I believe the JSBsim list would be a more appropriate place to report
such issues.

To be clear, it's not that I can't /guess/ at what such code does, and commit
patches, but if we later discover breakage, I'm not in a position to fix it
myself, using my own skills and knowledge. If this was discovered near release
it would be quite disruptive.

This is exactly why there's various YASim merge requests pending - it's not
that I can say they're 'bad' patches, it's that if they basically work but
someone reports YASim regressions in 3 months time, we have to revert each
patch to find out the issue, because I (and Stuart, and others) aren't familiar
with the code, or the science.

James