imacarthur wrote:

> There is an attempt, of sorts, in the fltk code to catch some of these
> illegal sequences and assume they are from ISO-8859-1 or CP1252 (see the
> relevant macros in fl_utf.c) which is enabled by default.
>
> I suspect this doesn't work all that well, particularly on linux/XFT,
> where I suspect that this workaround is partly inhibited by my decision
> to render the text strings using XftDrawStringUtf8() directly.

I believe this is what is happening. In fltk2 id does not use the Xft
UTF8 functions, it works similar to the other platforms. This allows it
to display most ISO-8859-1 correctly. More importantly, it will draw
something for a piece of text with invalid UTF_8 in it. The Xft
functions quit if they see invalid UTF-8 which is not very desirable
behavior.