> > I suspect this doesn't work all that well, particularly on
> linux/XFT,
> > where I suspect that this workaround is partly inhibited by
> my decision
> > to render the text strings using XftDrawStringUtf8() directly.
>
> Ah, meanwhile I checked that I use xft on linux. I'll try
> again without,
> just to see what happens.

If you were able to try a parallel build, one with XFT, and one without,
then I'd very much welcome the feedback (although if you do find a
problem I'll likely not be in a position to fix it all that soon!)

> aware of that anyway, I only wanted to make some tests without string
> conversion, and it worked on Windows, but failed on Linux.
> That seemed
> strange, but since there are different fonts, I'll have to test more.

Fonts, and the set of glyphs they actually contain, is a bit of a pain.

Some things appear *not* to work on Linux because the fonts tend to
contain sets of glyphs targeted for specific languages, or language
groups. This happens on Windows and OSX too, of course, but it is less
obvious there because:

- M$ provide a few "pan-Unicode" fonts that contain a much larger set of
glyphs, making it less likely you'll hit a gap.

- OSX ATSU incorporates a mechanism (off by default, but enabled in my
fltk-utf8 port, despite being quite slow!) that tries to automatically
substitute glyphs from a set of "fallback" fonts, if the current font
does not provide the glyph you requested.

Now, that last trick (auto font substitution) we sort of can do with
XFT, or at least we could write some code that emulated that behaviour
by creating a font set (at runtime) that covered the glyphs in the text
to be rendered.
I did a few experiments on this at the time, but left it out because I
wasn't happy with what I'd done.
I plan on going back to this. Eventually...

> Yesterday I tested with test/utf8, and I could display utf-8 chars in
> different fonts, even this RTL (?) text on the left side, #5 and #6.

RTL - "right-to-left", used for languages (Hebrew, Arabic, etc) that are
rendered in the "other direction".

Other TLA's you'll often see looking at fonts are:
LGC - "Latin Greek Cyrillic", used to denote a font that contains glyphs
intended to cover the majority of languages that use L, G or C
characters.

CJK - "Chinese Japanese Korean", ditto, for C, J or K languages.

--
Ian

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132