On 30 Sep 2008, at 18:17, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
> Update: I just found out that I didn't really use Xft in my tests,
> because I
> didn't have the header files installed :-( (USE_XFT was always
> defined as 0,
> although I configured with --enable-xft).

I wondered about that - when I saw the images you posted, the "linux"
one did not look anti-aliased to me, so I assumed it was from your
non-XFT build...

> After installing the (debian) package libxft-dev, USE_XFT is
> defined as 1, and
> there are some xft-related warnings when compiling.

Hmm, I don't think I expect any warnings... We probably want to start
gathering up the reports of warnings and fixing them, actually...

> Now there is a difference: the ISO string is now truncated at the
> first non-utf-8
> character, i.e. it displays "iso-8859-1: abc" only, but the utf-8
> string is still
> okay.

Argh. So, basically that is worse, then.