> >             1) For large commercial software, I have a VERSION file in
> the
> >             main directory with a single line in it: VERSION=#.#
> >             This can be include'ed from Makefiles to define macros used
> >             on everything from compile lines to Makefile construction
> >             to documentation builds and tar filenames.

In some way, the value in Enumerations.H is what we'd want to pick up - but
that is not perhaps the most "accessible" format for it?

> Oh, and another question: WHEN do we upgrade the version number(s)?
>
>   (a) immediately after one release, for the next release, or

What Mike said: As soon as *anything* in SVN changes after a release, we need
to "bump" the version numbers in some way.

Ideally, I suppose, we might bump it to a "temporary" number, then change that
to the "formal" number for the next release, so that folks can determine if the
build they have is a formal release or some svn checkout or something...?
(I sort of have this in some of my own builds, where the Makefile calls a
script, which calls "svnversion -n ." at build time to get the rev number from
the rep,o and writes that into a "version.h" header that the code pulls in. For
formal releases I can override that behaviour to put in an "actual" number...
The downside is that I can only build this on hosts that use Makefiles and have
svn installed, which can be a pain on some Windows machines...)

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132