Brief convrsation with Hannah Higgins when she was here to do a "performance
lecture" of / on her father's work. Asked her about the related
controversies of Maciunas->Friedman->NewFlux and (dethrone Maciunas who was
never really king anyway) -> OldGuard -> No New Fluxus!  Got something like
this, although this is my own take, not Hannah's, of what seemed to have
happened:  Maciunas in his dotage assuming right to control and designate
who was who and what in Fluxus, a right or privilege he hadn't been granted
by anyone else (reminiscent of Breton but w/ differences), set Ken up for a
fall by designating him Crown Prince, to many OldGuard types' dismay and
annoyance. Rather than dealing with Ken on the terms of his own work, there
apparently has been a sort of old-New-York-Dowager attempt to just sort of
snub and freeze him out of "our people" on the part of the Old
Dowagers/OldFlxGuard. (I picture tiaras. "fun" parties. Finger sandwiches
with real fingers.) And anyone else that is seen as "new people" are
apparently regarded in the same way--interlopers trying to become part of
the in group. This seems like a really silly way to be artists, but
hey--takes all kinds. Although from this story it seems not everyone feels
that way.

One could, to gratify the Old Guard, take the subaltern position and become
fans, groupies, "Fluxites." (I kind of like the mineral air of this term . .
.)   Or one could could, as Bowman proposes so interestingly, just take the
word for the people, demoticize it, decapitalize it, make it a common noun,
and be fluxus.

Makes evident the downside of having a cohesive community that has a long
history of working together (doubtless a wonderful thing in itself): it can
tend to make one comfey and suspicious of others who want to share that
comfort. Or whom you suspect of that motive. Very like a university
department in the division between tenured and adjunct faculty.

Jesus Christ.

Too poor for capital letters,

AK