On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 01:00:08PM -0500, Jimi Thompson wrote:
> Third, before placing the machine in the DMZ, we always uninstall all
> the text editors (VI, EMACS, etc.).  This way even if the box is
> hacked, they have a LOT of work in front of them to actually DO
> anything to it. (Can you imagine having to run "ed" on the httpd.conf
> or html pages?)  We also uninstall any compilers and browsers as well
> (gcc, lynx, etc.).

Heh, I'm sure practically every unix-ish admin can give you dozens of
ways to edit files without vi or emacs... In other words, while this
will provide a serious annoyance for you, hackers are liable to be able
to edit files all the same.

I'd suggest holding onto your text editors, so that you don't mind
working on the machines you have to adminster.. :)

--
The Bill of Rights: 7 out of 10 rights haven't been sold yet! Contact
your congressman for details how *you* can buy one today!