Hi Ivan,

I don't mean to imply that the Eighties was necessarily a Golden Age
of home-brewed programming, or that it even instilled the best programming
practises -- i.e., BASIC -- but I think an argument can be made that
programming literacy -- even bad literacy -- was much more general at that
time.  I'm not saying the literacy was higher or better -- clearly modern
languages and paradigms are more powerful and expressive than BASIC and
6502 machine code -- but it's telling to see how much computer code was
actually published for general consumption in IT magazines and in
children's books.  Even though many programs were probably printed because
it was cheaper than distributing cassettes and disks, there were still
plenty of explicative articles on programming practises, tips, tricks, etc.
 Perhaps this only had to do with software pricing and distribution
channels for a given audience -- say, kids, teens, etc. -- but the net
result must surely have been some interest and enthusiasm for being a
software creator rather than just a consumer.  I have a friend who is not
in IT, who hasn't touched an 8-bit computer in 20 years, who still
remembers fondly the UK-published Usborne series of kids books on BASIC
programming -- and remembers in detail.  These books and this culture made
an impact on him on some level.

Although there are plenty of blogs and forums on programming out there,
it's really sad that there isn't some mass medium for programming literacy
-- and I suspect that a big part of it is that, despite its many documented
flaws, BASIC at least had a small and graspable vocabulary that didn't
require any header files, libraries, drivers, compilers, IDEs, or profiling
tools.  There is an enormous amount of software bureaucracy a budding
programmer has to churn through these days before a 'Hello World'
application -- and much more aggravation before producing usable and fun
software. With all of these impediments, it's little wonder so many
computer users -- and perhaps even programmers -- are consumers of the
software and libraries of other people.  If you don't have a real pressing
need to 'roll your own' how can you possibly experience the incentive to
design a better wheel -- or a magnetic levitation railway? ;-)

Regards,
Iian