BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> writes:

> but you can't really afford a house without a job, and can't have a
> job without a car (so that the person can travel between their job and
> their house).

Job is an invention of the Industrial era.  AFAIK, our great great grand
parents had houses.

> I don't really think it is about gender role or stereotypes, but
> rather it is more basic:
> people mostly operate in terms of the pursuit of their best personal
> interests.

Ok.

> so, typically, males work towards having a job, getting lots money,
> ... and will choose females based mostly how useful they are to
> themselves (will they be faithful, would they make a good parent,
> ...).

Well it's clear that it's not their best interest to do that: only about
40% males reproduce in this setup.

> in this case, then society works as a sort of sorting algorithm, with
> "better" mates generally ending up together (rich business man with
> trophy wife), and worse mates ending up together (poor looser with a
> promiscuous or otherwise undesirable wife).

And this is also the problem, not only for persons, but for society: the
sorting is done on criteria that are bad.  Perhaps they were good to
survive in the savanah, but they're clearly an impediment to develop a
safe technological society.

>> Well, perhaps.  This is not my way to learn how to program (once really)
>> or to learn a new programming language.
>
> dunno, I learned originally partly by hacking on pre-existing
> codebases, and by cobbling things together and seeing what all did and
> did not work (and was later partly followed by looking at code and
> writing functionally similar mock-ups, ...).
>
> some years later, I started writing a lot more of my own code, which
> largely displaced the use of cobbled-together code.
>
> from what I have seen in code written by others, this sort of cobbling
> seems to be a fairly common development process for newbies.

I learn programming languages basically by reading the reference, and by
exploring the construction of programs from the language rules.